Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Microsoft Tech-Ed: Wednesday June 4

This morning, the bus line was extremely long - one of the cons of being the second hotel on the route. Breakfast's bacon was much better today, though, so I was quite happy with the morning.

My morning talk was on managed to native interop best practices, which turned out to be a slight waste of time. C++/CLI and COM interop don't really apply to my current programming tasks, so I plan on remembering the keywords to look up when/if I actually need them. I will continue to use PInvoke, is what it comes down to. The second talk on LINQ and VS2008 IDE tips and tricks (combined and how they relate) was an excellent session. The speaker was Amanda Silver, so if you ever have the chance to attend a presentation of hers, I highly recommend it.

Lunch was a bit on the mediocre side, but the baked macaroni and cheese was surprisingly good. The conversation was better, and just as informative for me as most of the talks here. Which brings me to a surprising fact: Attending conferences can be tiring, even when you're just sitting in rooms learning. I guess my brain is working harder than I think sometimes.

I missed the afternoon sessions in order to prepare a virtual machine for a DataDude talk on Friday morning. It is nice to see all my work over the past few months start to come together for something practical, even if it's just a presentation, rather than a functional product. But, at one point, the press releases seemed to indicate that I need to have something done by the end of the year, so we'll have to see what happens. My busy work schedule may continue for awhile...

Dinner this evening was at SeaWorld in one of the pavilions. It was a bit awkward at first, because there was a live band for background music and very few people. The food was nothing to write home about, but I guess I'm doing that anyway, in a way. We left dinner on the earlier side in order to enter the rest of the park. We saw the Shamu Rocks show, and a ski show, then walked around until the 10:00pm fireworks Mystify show. The word cheesy comes to mind. I was only there for a couple of hours, and I'm just glad that I didn't have to pay, and that I didn't have to be there longer. If there's one thing recently that would keep me from having kids, it's attending this amusement park. I do not look forward to having to be at one again, and keeping track of kids in that chaos can only make such an experience even more taxing. And you all should know by now how much I hate taxes.

Needless to say, I'm going straight to bed tonight.

No comments: