Monday, April 16, 2007

File server fixed!

I'm almost positive that my file server is fixed! I am very excited. I can now fill up the remaining 600GB (of 2048GB).

What was the problem, you ask? Well, it would appear that the voltage applied to the DIMM sockets was set at 1.9V instead of 2.1V. I'm not sure if I should blame the RAM's SPD data, or the BIOS for ignoring said data. I'm betting it's bad data on the RAM, because the Corsair Memory website listed both 1.9 and 2.1 as the tested voltage in two different places. They appear to be confused.

Either way, manually setting the DIMM voltage to 2.1 allowed memtest86 to run for a full 24 hours, which is hasn't been able to do for a long time. It's time to plug my hard drives back in, boot up, and transfer some very large files!

No comments: